Father Remigius Verostko, O.S.B.

 The Reverend Remigius Bernard Verostko, O.S.B., died on Thursday, January 1, 1998, after a long struggle with cancer. Father Remigius was born in Tarrs, Pennsylvania, on February 16, 1926, the son of the late Mr. and Mrs. John F. Verostko, and was one of eight children.

He resided in Mt. Washington (Pittsburgh) and is survived by five brothers and one sister: John E. Verostko of Danielsville, Georgia; William D. Verostko of Tarrs. Roman Joseph Verostko of Minneapolis, Minnesota; Charles E. Verostko of Houston, Texas; Andrew D. Verostko of Ruther Glen, Virginia; and Theresa Lesko of Tarrs.

He graduated from East Huntingdon High School in May of 1944, ranking first in his class, and then worked as a tool and die maker for Robertshaw Thermostat in Youngwood.

After making his monastic profession on July 2, 1952, he graduated from Saint Vincent College in June of 1954. Prior to his graduate studies abroad, Father Remigius attended Saint Vincent Seminary and was ordained to the priesthood on July 19, 1957.

Following several years of theological study at Saint Vincent, he was sent to study at the College of St. Anselm in Rome.

Following his ordination, he pursued further study in scripture at the Ecole Bibliqué in Jerusalem. Illness prevented him from completing his advanced studies. A promising life in the priestly ministry and in biblical scholarship was cut short by his illness.

Partial rehabilitations permitted some academic work that included editing and writing articles for the New Catholic Encyclopedia (1964-65) and a brief period teaching Latin.

Following a period of hospitalization at Mayview in the late 1960s he enjoyed rehabilitation and peace working first as an outpatient and then as a full-time housekeeper at Mayview. He resided for over 20 years on Mt. Washington.

During the past six years he struggled with cancer and was able, up until the last weeks of his life, to be active in his private study. On December 18, 1997, he was admitted to Montefiore Hospital in Pittsburgh and later was transferred to the Heartland Health Care Center in Shadyside where he died on New Year’s Day, 1998.

A Mass of Christian burial and a memorial service were held at Saint Vincent Archabbey. Interment was in the Saint Vincent Benedictine Community Cemetery.