Father Charles A. Weber, O.S.B., died Friday, April 14, 2000, after a long illness.
Father Charles was born October 25, 1919, in St. Marys, a son of the late Clement and Clara (Walker) Weber, and was one of 10 children.
He attended Saint Vincent Preparatory School in Unity Township and received a bachelor of arts degree from Saint Vincent College in 1942 and a master of arts degree from Saint Vincent Seminary in 1944. He also studied at the Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C.
Father Charles entered Saint Vincent Archabbey in 1939, making simple profession of vows July 2, 1940, and solemn profession of vows July 11, 1943. He was ordained a priest November 4, 1945.
From 1940 to 1945, Father Charles worked at Saint Vincent Preparatory School and Saint Vincent College as a prefect, assistant librarian and librarian, and also sang in the Archabbey Schola Cantorum. From 1945 to 1994 he was assigned to the archabbey’s parish apostolates in the dioceses of Greensburg, Pittsburgh and Erie.
During that time he served as pastor of Saint Mary Church in Erie, St. Gertrude Church in Vandergrift and St. Cecilia Church in Whitney. He was a past member of the Finance Committee of the Diocese of Erie and a member of the Priests’ Senate of the Diocese of Greensburg.
He retired to the archabbey in 1994 for health reasons.
Father Charles is survived by three sisters, Mrs. Dorothy Herbstritt, Mrs. Virginia Ritter and Ms. Helen Weber, all of St. Marys.
Besides his parents, he was preceded in death by five brothers and a sister.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Benedictine Health and Welfare Fund at Saint Vincent Archabbey, 300 Fraser Purchase Road, Latrobe, PA, 15650-2690.