The Rev. Giles L. Nealen, O.S.B., 73, a priest-monk of Saint Vincent Archabbey, died Sunday, December 29, 1996, in the monastic infirmary from heart failure.
He was born in Nicktown, Pennsylvania, September 6, 1923, attended St. Nicholas Grade School there, and was a 1942 graduate of Spangler Public High School in Spangler. He received a bachelor of arts degree in philosophy from Saint Vincent College in 1948, and did his priesthood studies at Saint Vincent Seminary.
Fr. Giles entered the Benedictine monastic community of Saint Vincent Archabbey in 1945. He made simple profession of vows on February 13, 1946, and solemn profession of vows on February 13, 1949. He was ordained a priest in Saint Vincent Archabbey Church by the late Bishop John Dearden of Pittsburgh on May 15, 1951.
His service to the monastic community included assistant in the maintenance department (1944-51) and 1954-63); scholasticate prefect (1949-51); assistant pastor at Sacred Heart Parish in St. Marys (1951-54); prefect at Saint Vincent Scholasticate (1954-63); director of Food Service (1954-63); Master of Brothers (1956-63); pastor of St. James Parish, Waynesburg, Ohio (1964); subprior at Saint Benedictine Priort, Vinhedo, S.P., Brazil (1964-67); administrator of St. Benedict Parish, Marguerite (1967-68); assistant pastor at Queen of the World Parish, St. Marys (1968-71); pastor at St. Bruno Parish, South Greensburg (1971-72); pastor at St. James Parish, Waynesburg, Ohio (1972-80); pastor at Sacred Heart Parish, St. Marys (1990-92).
In 1992, Fr. Giles retired to the Archabbey where, until his death, he remained active as chaplain to the Latrobe Carmelite Monastery of Nuns and assistant to the Prior.
He is survived by his brothers and sisters, John, Gertrude Augustine and Martha Ager, all of Nicktown. He was preceded in death by his parents, John and Margaret (Bender) Nealen; his brother, William; and three sisters, Mary Sutton, Clare Noll and Ruth Nealen.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Health and Welfare Fund of Saint Vincent Archabbey, Latrobe, Pennsylvania, 15650.